Update v1.1: Adjusted the neutral ear position to be more forward, added the tail (kind of important), and added 4 expressions.
Edit: TOTALLY didn't know that I finished this on Rachel's birthday. What a co-inky-dink!
As I explained a bit in my Defender Pendant
description, I've been given the task of creating a cover for the first novel in a series of books being written by
(Rachel). The first book will have Izzy Goldrunner on the front cover. As such, I've been working with Rachel to arrive at a design solution that fits her needs, and first and foremost is a comprehensive design for the character, Izzy.
Since her design has been in a constant state of evolution (starting with what is essentially a Sonic recolor from back in 2005ish), this current design only had one rendering by Rachel herself
and a few by fans
. Therefore, I felt it was important to explore the design down to the smallest details in order to establish a sense of consistency—a master document, if you will. In talking with Rachel, I've come up with what I believe to be as close to a "definitive" Izzy as I can get. For the most part, everything is true to the design from Rachel's pixel art, with a few aesthetic adjustments or artistic liberties of my own.
As for the adjustments, I tried to come up with a face that best suited the character. I wanted it to be very strong looking, but still pretty. Certainly not too gentle or delicate. I also gave the hair a bit of... disorder (for the lack of a better word). I wanted to communicate that each "cluster" is made of small individual quills of varied length and orientation, but the consistency is closer to that of a porcupine than a hedgehog. The fur color variation on the face was my idea. I added details on the boots and traded the camoflage pattern for a solid gray, because I felt like the camo looks too chaotic and made it difficult to interpret the form, but that's a bit more of a tentative change, since I haven't run the idea by Rachel yet.
The character is a seasoned fighter, so I wanted to make sure that her muscles were well defined, but the character is also 5'5", so I felt that her frame shouldn't be that large. I also have a personal preference toward a more slender frame, I suppose, which I felt fit the character.
Nothing here is necessarily set in stone, and I intend to revise the model sheet after further consultation and exploration of the design. I want to possibly add a diagonal from the back, as well as facial expressions and a detailed view of some of the smaller features, such as the belt, shoes, gloves, etc. But that's all for now, and even just that took a while.